Thursday, December 19, 2013

Down Christmas Memory Lane, Part 2

A Tribute To Frosty, The Most Selfless Of Water-Based Life Forms.

Original blogpost airdate December 16, 2008

He kept up appearances for the children. That is the epitaph to remember Frosty The Snowman by always. Frosty loved the children.

Frosty knew the sun was hot that day. He knew his fate. But Frosty chose to spend what remained of his time living, not dying. He took his broomstick and he ran here and there, around the square, leading the nation's children into a rebellion not of street gangs, violent crime, teenage pregnancy or any of the other social ills that plague our youth, but a rebellion of joy.

He even paused for a moment when the town square's traffic cop called for him to stop, for Frosty was at his core a good and decent soul.

Frosty is gone now, a victim of seasonal change and global warming. Most of his corpse is scattered in the vast nothingness of this planet's oceans, some of it refroze and may be trapped glacially for millennia, some is locked underground, and some may be carrying away the sewage of the fetid masses of humanity, but the magical moment he gave our children will never die. Which is why I hope.... no, which is why I know, that someday Frosty will know the magic that is a trip over Yosemite falls.

I think I may have just peed out a piece of Frosty.

1 comment:

Décio said...

Hey DrugMonkey,

I just wanted to thank you.

I've been reading your blog for a while, and I'm not even a pharmacist (actually an engineer), but your posts are just that entertaining. Which is why I also read both of your books.

Today my wife was prescribed Cipro XR and I just knew that I should expect a punch in my wallet -- about US$ 90 for 7 pills here in my country, about the most expensive I've ever paid for medicine. Still, I just knew from reading your blog that XR was a ripoff and a generic, non-XR version would be just as good and cost less (in fact, searching the web now, I've found it for as low as $2.50).

We got the prescription for free from a friend/co-worker of my wife (she works at a hospital), so we were a bit reluctant to go back and ask the prescriber to change it to non-XR. We ended up having to buy the XR version and paid about $50 with a PBM discount or something like that -- and yeah, I learned about PBMs from your blog as well. So we ended up having to buy the XR version, and even though I left the pharmacy with a huge hole in my pocket, I felt a tiny little bit smarter than the doctor and the pharmacist (who told me there was no such thing as generic Cipro). That feeling alone is almost worth the money I was ripped off. So again, thank you.

At home I educated my wife on the evils of Cipro XR, and she's probably going to tell the prescriber about it (and especially about the price difference). Maybe that prescriber will no longer prescribe the XR version after he's made aware of the price difference. Maybe that'll mean a few less XR medications being sold out there. I thought you'd like to know you're helping to save the world, one pill at a time.