Sunday, September 21, 2014

Jazzfests And Milestones.

I heard the note and held on to it as long as I could. Held on until the last one of the night was played I did, the gloom slowly settling inside my mind as it came just as assuredly as the fog was settling in outside on the bay. One last trumpet blast and the Monterey Jazzfest was over for another year. Maybe my last year.

Unemployment is like slowly spiraling down a drain. You wake up the next day and almost nothing has changed, you've probably slept in a little and actually feel a little better than when the alarm clock ruled your life the day before. You work on your resume' a little and fantasize about landing that position that has none of the problems of your now ex-job.

The day after that you wake up and realize you're getting low on coffee and empty on cash. The drain on your resources begins. You make the first withdrawal from the ATM that has no assurance of ever being replaced.

The trappings of affluence slowly start to fall away. The day before Jazzfest I had used the last of my Laphroaig and begun my unemployment gin in the plastic bottle. As much as CVS wants the world to think of them as some sort of health center now that they stopped the tobacco it remains a wonderful place to find cheap ways to rot your liver.

Jazzfest tickets are a crown jewel perk of the affluent. Being used that night two years ago in a different world from when they were purchased. There had been no bites on the resume'

And I wasn't kidding myself that there ever would be. I had just spent the last seven years flipping the middle finger to the decision makers in my industry and there wasn't any assurance I wasn't in a long, slow drain spiral, spinning off the comforts of the comfortable until I slid into homelessness with nothing but a pair of once-fashionable eyeglasses.

That was probably an exaggeration I kept telling myself. But make no mistake, life is different when the soul-crushing large checks those pharmacy chains can write you stop coming in.

At least I had an uncrushed soul now.

I couldn't hold on to that last trumpet note forever so I picked up the bag with the vinyl copy of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew that I probably shouldn't have bought and started walking and when the lady at the gate said "see you next year" I almost cried.

And I kept walking home and thinking and walking and falling and spinning a little closer to that drain. The money isn't the worst part of being unemployed. It's that persistent feeling of uselessness. When you wake up and make that coffee run you are surrounded from the moment you leave your condo with people with a purpose. The gardener. The plumber that just drove by. The people riding the bus to work. They all have a function this day, a role to play in this world that is humming along and you do not.  The most you can think of yourself is as some sort of spare part.

That's what it feels like from the moment you get out of bed. So the day after Jazzfest two years ago I didn't get out of bed.

But...that was two years ago. Tonight, I just got back, from this years Jazzfest. The Roots kicked ass and I'm getting married in April and I haven't been this happy in a long time.

And to the decision makers in my industry, or, should I say, my fellow decision makers now, this middle finger's for you. I haven't forgotten. Here's to a good many more years of it being right in front of your face.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you had enough rainy day fund saved up.
Keep fighting,get used to a lot of rejection .You will find a job and it will be better then the one you left.
Good luck

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Thanks for the sentiments, but what I was trying to do here was contrast the feelings of being newly unemployed 2 years ago with the post-resurrection world where i am now.

I did have a rainy day fund, and it couldn't have served me better.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I like you (or rather the part you share with us in your writing) even though you come off as an a**hole sometimes.

Megan K said...

I haven't been here in a while and the beginning of your post had me worried. Congratulations and good job not being unemployed. And being happy apparently hasn't made you less entertaining, thank goodness.

Miss Margo said...

I like DrugMonkey's assholishness. It's never genuine cruelty--if it was, he'd have no readers. It's just sarcasm and a touch of intellectual arrogance. Hey, he's earned it.

Being unemployed sucks donkey balls. When I was unemployed, I got jealous of the dude who twirled a sign for Round Table Pizza down the street.

Unknown said...

I hope that every pharmacist that is leaving their soul at the front door of their pharmacy every day reads this and thinks about it a little.
Every single one of us with a spine has a target on their back and the sooner you realize it and plan accordingly, the better off you will be
Goose

Sunny said...

You had me worried too. I wondered what did you do this time. Lol. Two years does make a difference. Good post in spite of worrying some of us.

Ex- Pharm Tech said...

I too find myself having to go back to work as a pharm tech, after two years and a A.A. in biology. I let myself get laid off in 2012 as I was low man on the tech crew after 7 years with walgreeds and could see I was the logical choice for the next round of layoffs. I'm not done with my education, I plan to finish with a B.S. in plant science (plants can't yell at you after all). I find myself having to go back to work until I can transfer. I started having nightmares about working as a pharm tech again. I too have been watching my student loans dwindle away and have this feeling of impending doom as I know I might have to work (dear god spare me), for the big chains just to make it. I thought I had escaped. I remember how I was treated like nothing more than a machine and how the company treated my awesome pharmacy manger like her and her license were expendable. Its hell to deal with ruthless customers who use terrorist strategies in trying to obtain narc meds or even just gift cards, and then getting written up by the company for poor customer service. I know I am ranting but forgive me that, just know that those of us that have had to work the trenches appreciate the "middle finger approach" as you are the voice that speaks for those that are afraid to. I began reading your posts long ago and I'm thankful I did as it helped me realize I do need to leave the field as these conditions are universal and likely to only get worse. It may not be much but knowing that someone like you is willing to point out the lies and smoke screens makes me going back to work in the trenches a little easier. Thank you!

oh on a different note, I received another class action lawsuit notice having to do with no breaks being taken and improper compensation of mileage on company time. Seems like nothing has changed since I left.

Anonymous said...

I admire your courage . Did you take 2 years to find your dream's job? What was your moto to stay that strong?

an ex CVS

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Anon 920,

Eight months after my last chain job I marshalled my resources and bought my own store. By far the smartest thing I've ever done.