Thursday, August 20, 2015

I Bestow A Roadmap For APhA to Follow

To: Thomas E. Menighan. CEO, American Pharmacists Association.

RE: Your ongoing public relations disaster.

Tom,

Good Lord. I had no idea you would be so stupid about this.

I admit, when I first read the APhA Foundation's press release announcing the "Bowl of Hygeia" award given to Lloyd Duplantis, I thought it would be fun to sit back and chuckle as you scrambled around to do the right thing. But I never thought you would not know what the right thing was. Seriously, this is 2015, and a man who says the birth control pill leads to an increase in "effeminate men" and homosexuality now has a trophy with your name on it on his mantle.

And you're OK with that? Seriously? I haven't even mentioned his bizzaro theory about how gay Haitians contracted the AIDS virus in Africa and brought it to North America.

This is actually getting painful to watch. Have you noticed it's not just me giving you a hard time anymore? You are getting pummeled in the court of public opinion, and rightfully so.

But I'm here to help. I'm not quite sure why it's up to me to get you out of this mess of your own creation, but no one else seems to be lifting a finger. Thing is, putting all this in your rear view mirror really wouldn't be that hard. Here's your complimentary session with the Drugmonkey consulting service:

1) Make a statement. Now. Making it crystal clear that the views of Lloyd Duplantis do not in any way reflect the values of APhA. That your organization is for equality for all, and stands against all forms of discrimination and ignorant hatred.

2) Put in your legalese about not being responsible for making the decision to give him that award. BUT...follow this with an announcement of a change in your policy that will ensure this will never happen again. What those changes are I'll leave up to you. I can't solve all your problems after all.

3) Make a large donation to an organization that works for the advancement of the LGBT community. And I mean large. More money than you gave the Louisiana Pharmacists Association to award a bigot.

There you go buddy, PR disaster dealt with. I solved your damn situation with about five minutes of thought while I was waiting for my wife to finish brushing her teeth. Now why the hell couldn't you, with your access to the best PR professionals in the country right there in your DC neighborhood, come up with something other than cowering in silence?

Unless...the values of Lloyd Duplantis really do in some way align with those of APhA. I guess that would explain it.

Until you open your mouth Tom, the world will never really know.

Do. Something.

____________


Sign a petition calling  on APhA to do something about their boneheaded move here. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's kind of you, DrugMonkey. I'm surprised you're offering up an easy out. I'm impressed!

Unknown said...

I just watched that YouTube video and just about lost it. I'm not a pharmacist (I'm a medical social worker) but I'm thinking it's time to call upon your colleagues to cancel their memberships with Apha... I wouldn't want to continue any professional affiliation with an organization that awards the work and words of someone like Lloyd Duplantis. It's an embarrassment to the profession. How hard would it be to get some kind of email distribution list of members? At the very least I think it's time to make contact with other Apha officers and staff. Keep up the good fight!

Unknown said...

Maybe even start with these "pharmacy champions": http://www.pharmacistsprovidecare.com/champions

Unknown said...

Question for the pharmacist extraordinaire... Your fiancé fills her legitimate .5 mg clonazepam tid hard copy that she has filled for months along with her metropolol, potassium, protonix, lamictal (for seizures), folic acid, amd vitamin D. Pharmacist tells her (in front of me) that he has no .5 mg clonazepam and no wags anywhere has any that the wholesaler is out and no store has any in stock we will have to go to CVS or else where.

After getting the script filled at CVS we decide to call other local wags because something didn't seem right out of 5 stores 4 said they had enough clonazepam to fill the prescription. This wasn't a new script or doctor it's one that's been filled at this store by this pharmacist for months so I don't think he thought it was a fake. It's just a strange situation. Any insight?

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Sean,

Yeah, strange. Maybe he thought it was an early fill? Whatever the reason he was a spineless dick. This coming from someone who used to work the overnight shift in the ghetto and always had the balls to tell people why their shit wasn't getting filled if it wasn't getting filled. I'd ask that WAG for an explanation, or just go to an indy.

red_No_4 said...

Sean, Dm

We have been hit by an outage of clonazepam 0.5 and 1 mg. Can't get it for love or money. Our suppliers are not their suppliers.

Had a guy come in today because the Sam's Club variety of Norco was backordered. Maybe yes, maybe no, but he checked out in the PDMP so he will get his med.